Khiam 2000 – 2007
“Khiam” and “Khiam second part,” the two films presented in the installation, offer the same set-up : 6 former detainees, seated on a chair, speak while looking straight at the camera. This set-up, used in the first film, was meant to compensate the absence of images. In fact, until South Lebanon was freed in May 2000, it was impossible to go to Khiam camp, situated in the area occupied by Israel and its proxy militia, the army of South Lebanon.
Much was heard about the camp, but no image was ever seen. It was impossible to represent the camp.
Through the testimony of the six freed detainees, the film is a kind of experimentation on the narrative, on the way the image, through speech, can be built progressively on the principles of evocation and of latency.
The six former detainees recall the camp and narrate how they managed to survive and to resist and produce a needle, a pencil, a string of beads, a chess game.
When the camp was dismantled in May 2000, one could go to Khiam. The camp was later turned into a museum.
During the July 2006 war, the camp was totally destroyed.
In 2007, we met up again with the six detainees we had filmed in 1999. The detention camp was no longer visible, turned into a heap of ruins.
We asked the former detainees to react to the destruction of the camp in which they had been prisoners for so many years. They share with us their thoughts about memory, History, reconstitution, imagination and especially the idea to reconstruct the camp of Khiam as it had been. But is it possible to reconstruct a detention camp ? How can one preserve the traces, the memory?
Other installations for Khiam:
Landscape of Khiam
- 3eme FIAC, Festival International d’Art Contemporain d’Alger, Musée d’art moderne et contemporain d’Alger, Algeria, 2012
- Beirut 2, Contempory Art Platform, CAP Kuwait 2012
- Open frame, premier volet, centre régional d’art contemporain Languedoc-Roussillon, Sète, France, 2011
- Image in Question, 41st national Artists’ Salon Cali, Colombia, 2010
- We could be heroes just for one day, Solo Exhibition at Musée d’art moderne de la ville de Paris, Paris, France 2010
- Wonder Beirut, Solo Exhibition at Centre de la photographie de Genève, Switzerland, 2009
- Je suis là même si tu ne me vois pas, I am here even if you don’t see me, Solo Exhibition at Galerie Leonard & Bina Ellen Art Gallery, Montréal, Québec, Canada, 2009
- Tel des oasis dans le désert, Solo Exhibition at Eglise des Célestins, Festival d’Avignon, France, 2009
- Fonction Critique, Aperto, Montpellier, France, 2009
- Wish we could tell, Solo Exhibition at A Space Gallery (Part of Image Festival), Toronto, Canada, 2009
- Wish we could tell, Solo Exhibition at Centro de Memória, (part of the festival) Museum of Vila Do Conde, Portugal, 2009
- Fictions du réel, Centre Culturel Suisse, Paris, France, 2009
- Strategy of History, Strategy of Art, 6th Biennale de Goumri, Armenia, 2008
- Zones of conflict, Pratt Manhattan Gallery, New York, USA, 2008
- Histoires tenues secrètes, Solo Exhibition at Fort du Bruissin, opening of the Centre d’Art Contemporain, Francheville, France, 2008
- Back to the present, Solo Exhibition at Homeworks IV, Ashkal Alwan, in AGIAL Gallery, Beirut, Lebanon, 2008
- Où sommes-nous?, Solo Exhibition at Festival d’Automne de Paris, Espace Topographique de l’art, Paris, France, 2008