- Short biography
Joana Hadjithomas and Khalil Joreige collaborate as filmmakers and artists, producing cinematic and visual artwork that interwine.
For the last 15 years, they have focused on the images, representations and history of their home country, Lebanon and questioned the fabrication of imaginaries in the region and beyond.
Together, they have directed documentaries such as Khiam 2000-2007(2008) and El Film el Mafkoud (The Lost Film) (2003) and feature films such as Al Bayt el Zaher (1999) and A Perfect Day (2005).
Their last feature film, Je Veux Voir (I Want to See), starring Catherine Deneuve and Rabih Mroue, premiered at the Cannes film festival in 2008. The French critics Guild chose it as Best Film Singulier 2008.
Their films have been multi awarded in international festivals and enjoyed releases in many countries.
They have created numerous photographic installations, among them Faces, Lasting Images, Distracted Bullets, The Circle of Confusion, Don’t Walk, War Trophies, Landscape of Khiam, A Faraway Souvenir and the multifaceted project Wonder Beirut.
Their artworks have been shown in museums, biennials and art centers around the world, in solo or collective exhibitions and are part of important public and private collections, such as Musee d’art Moderne de la Ville de Paris; FNAC France; the Guggenheim, New York; the Centre Georges Pompidou, France; V & A London, the Sharjah Art Foundation, UAE… They are recipients of the 2012 Abraaj Capital Art Prize with A Letter Can Always Reach Its Destination.
In 2012 they presented their feature documentary «The Lebanese Rocket Society, the strange tale of the Lebanese space race » and a series of artistic installations around the space project of the 60′s.They are the authors of numerous publications and university lecturers in Lebanon and Europe, members of the board of Metropolis Cinema, and co-founders of Abbout Productions with Georges Schoucair. Hadjithomas is also a board member of the Ashkal Alwan Academy, Home Work Space. They both present regularly some lecture- performances as « Aida save me ». They live between Beirut and Paris.
- Long biography
Born in Beirut in 1969, Joana Hadjithomas and Khalil Joreige work together as artists and filmmakers. In 1997, they participate in the Ayloul festival in Beirut with a work entitled Mail in waiting (Poste Restante).¨ Their first individual exhibition is Beirut, Urban Fictions, at the Institut du Monde Arabe in Paris, in 1997. Among the series showed there, are Equivalences, Bestiaries and Circle of Confusion.
In 1998, within the framework of Mois de la Photographie, their solo show at Janine Rebeiz gallery present for the first time their work Wonder Beirut, an artistic project which kept on evolving until 2006 and which included various stages.
In 1999, they write and directe their first fiction feature film « Al bayt el zaher » (Around the pink house), a Franco-Canadian-Lebanese co-production, which will represent Lebanon for the Oscars..
In 2000, they make « Khiam », a 52 minute documentary on the detention camp of the same name in South Lebanon.
In 2001, they direct a short 7 minutes video titled Barmeh (Rounds).
They create their production company: “Abbout Productions”, with Georges Schoucair and produce several art videos among them Don’t Walk but also short film and documentary essays such as «El film al mafkoud » (The lost film) in 2003.
At the end of 2003, they return to fiction with a short feature film entitled Ramad (Ashes) which is selected for the 2005 French Academy Awards, les Cesars.
In parallel, they continue their practice in art with new works like Lasting images (2003), and Distracted bullets (2004).
In 2005, they present Yawmon akhar (A perfect day) a Franco-German-Lebanese co-production which is very enthusiastically received, multi awarded in many festivals and released in several countries.
After the 2006 War, they produce several art works, among them, War Trophies, Landscape of Khiam, A faraway souvenir, Ansar Recto Verso.
In 2008, they present in the official selection of the Cannes film festival Je veux voir (I want to see) a Franco-Lebanese feature film starring Catherine Deneuve and Rabih Mroué. The French guild of cinema critics chose it as the Best Film Singulier in 2008.
That same year, they also make a documentary called Khiam 2000-2007 which is presented at the FID in Marseille and wins the International competition prize.
In 2009, they pursue their research on image with the series Faces.
For several years, they undertake a long research project on the Lebanese space adventure, which had been totally forgotten. Their project, entitled The Lebanese Rocket Society, includes a film, The Strange Tale of the Lebanese Space Race who premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2012, as well as a series of artistic creations: Elements for a monument, which includes among others A reconstitution, The President’s Album (2011), The Golden Record (2012) Restaged (2012) and A rug (2012).
In 2012, they win the Abraaj Capital Art Prize and they present their video installation A letter Can Always Reach Its Destination.
Several retrospectives of their work took place in festivals as Paris Cinema, Gijon film festival (Spain), Nyon, Visions du réel (Switzerland), Villa do Condé (Portugal), Montreal, Institut français (Tokyo)… They present their works in several exhibitions in solo shows and in many Biennales and group shows in museums, institutions and art centers around the world.
Their works are part in many important collections among them : Musée d’Art Moderne de la ville de Paris, Barjeel Art Foundation, FNAC France, several FRAC, Guggenheim (New York), Musée National d’art moderne, Centre Georges Pompidou, Victoria & Albert Museum (London), Sharjah Art Foundation…
They are both university teachers, lecturers and also the authors of different publications such as: Beirut, Urban fictions, OK I’m going to show you my work, A state of Latency, Latency, Like an oasis in the desert, Latent Images/Diary of a Photographer…
They both present regularly reading-performances like Aida save me.
They are members of the Lebanese Metropolis Cinema team directed by Hania Mroué, with its Distribution company MC Distribution.
They have been university teachers, for more than 10 years at the USJ in Beirut, or for other post- graduate university courses such as Studio des Arts contemporains, le Fresnoy or la HEAD in Geneva. Joana is also a board member of the Ashkal Alwan : HomeWorks Academy
- 2012 The Lebanese Rocket Society, The strange tale of the Lebanese space race, Doc 95 min
- 2008 Khiam 2000-2007, Doc 103min
- 2008 Je veux voir(I want to see) Fiction 75 min
- 2006 Open the door, please, Fiction 11 min, part of the film Childhoods Fiction 80 min
- 2005 Yawmon Akhar (A perfect day), Fiction 88 min
- 2003 Ramad (Ashes), Fiction 26 min
- 2003 Al Film Al mafkoud (The lost film), Doc 42 min
- 2001 Barmeh (Rounds), Fiction 8 min
- 2000 Khiam, Doc 52 min
- 1999 Al Bayt al Zaher(Around the pink house) , Fiction 92 min
- List of work
- The Lebanese Rocket Society, Part VI : Dust in the wind , 2013,
- A letter can always reach its destination (2012)
- The Lebanese rocket society – A rug (2012)
- The Lebanese rocket society – Restaged (2012)
- The Lebanese rocket society – The Golden Record (2012)
- The Lebanese rocket society – The President’s Album (2011)
- The Lebanese rocket society – A reconstitution (2011)
- Histoire du vent (2010)
- Two suns in a sunset (2010)
- History of the Circle of confusion (2009)
- Faces (2009)
- Ansar Recto/Verso (2008)
- A Faraway Souvenir (2001-2007)
- Landscape of Khiam (2008)
- War Trophies (2008)
- Khiam 2000-2007 (2008)
- 180 secondes of Lasting Images (2006)
- Lasting Images (2004)
- Distracted Bullets (2005)
- Always with you (2001-2008)
- Don’t Walk (2001-2004)
- Rounds (2001)
- Wonder Beirut (1997-2006)
- Wonder Beirut – The story of a pyromaniac photographer
- Wonder Beirut – Postcards of war
- Wonder Beirut – Latent Images
- Circle of confusion (1997)
- Bestiaries (1997)
- Equivalences (1997)
- List of exhibitions
- « Lebanese Rocket Society: Part III, IV, V & VI ». Gallery in situ fabienne leclerc, Paris, France
- « KHIAM, l’emploi du temps ». 3 bis F, Lieux d’art contemporain, Aix en Provence,
- « Lebanese Rocket Society: Part II, III, IV & V ». CRG Gallery, New York, USA
- « Lebanese Rocket Society: Part III, IV & V ». The Third Line Dubai, UAE
- « How soon is now : a tribute to dreamers », Beirut Exhibition Center, Lebanon
- « Histoire du vent », Commande publique du ministère de la culture, Festival d’Avignon, France
- « Is there anybody out of there? », Gallery in situ fabienne leclerc, Paris, France
- « I want to see », Gazworks, Triangle Arts Trust, London, U.K
- « Wonder Beirut », Centre de la photographie de Genève, Switzerland
- « Wish we could tell », A Space Gallery, Toronto, Canada
- « Wish we could tell », Centro de Mémoria, Museum of Vila Do Conde, Portugal
- « I am here even if you don’t see me », Galerie Leonard & Bina Ellen Art Gallery, Montréal, Québec, Canada
- « Tel des oasis dans le désert Â», Eglise des Célestins, Festival d’Avignon, France
- « Faces », Art première, Art Bassel, Bâle, Switzerland
- « We could be heroes just for one day », Musée d’art moderne de la ville de Paris, Paris, France
- « Circulo de confusion », Musée de Gigon, Spain
- « We could be heroes just for one day », Musée d’art moderne de la ville de Paris, Paris, France
- « Histoires tenues secrètes », Fort du Bruissin, Centre d’Art Contemporain, Francheville, France
- « Back to the présent », Homeworks IV, Ashkal Alwan, in AGIAL Gallery, Beirut, Lebanon
- « Oú sommes-nous? », Festival d’Automne, Espace Topographique de l’art, Paris, France
- « Circle of Confusion », CRG Gallery, New York, USA
- « Wonder Beirut », Ecole régionale des Beaux Arts, Rennes, France
- « Wonder Beirut », Galerie Janine Rubeiz, Beyrouth, Lebanon
- « Beyrouth: Fictions urbaines », Institut du Monde Arabe, Paris, France
Group Exhibitions (Selection)
- « Terms & Conditions », SAM, Singapore Art Museum, Singapoor
- « Vue d’en haut » Centre Pompidou Metz, Metz France
- « Ici, Ailleurs », Marseille Provence 2013, Friche belle de Mai, Marseille 2013
- « Encounters » , Royal Academy of Arts & Katara, Doha Qatar
- « Galerie de la Méditerranée » Openning exhibition of the Museum MUCEM, Marseille
- « Shifting Sands » : CACSA Contempory Art Center for South Autralia, Adelaide Autralia
- « Accrochage permanent » Centre Pompidou, Paris, France
- « Brouillon », Argos, Kaaitheater Belgium & Musée de la danse, Rennes, France
- « Sweet sixties : Stories and Morals » Gallery Nova, WHW, Zagreb, Croatia
- Kochi Muziris Biennale, 2012, Kochi Kerala, India,
- « Light from the Middle East » Victoria & Albert Museum, London, UK
- « Six Lines of flight Shifting geographies in contempory art », SFMOMA, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, USA
- « Round Table », The 9th Gwangju Biennale, South Korea,
- « L’histoire est à moi », Le printemps de Septembre, Le BBB, Toulouse, France
- « Une école d’art », Ecole d’art supérieure d’Avignon, Musée de la dance , Boris Charmatz
- Rumo ao Sul (Destination sud), Sam art projects, MUBE, Museum Brasileiro da Escultura, Sao Paolo, Brasil
- Subversion, Cornerhouse Manchester, UK
- « Archives sauvages » Villa Arson, Nice
- Arab Express, June 16 to October 28, Mori Art Museum Tokyo, Japan
- Beirut 2, Contempory Art Platform, CAP Kuwait (06/06-18/07/12)
- L’institut des archives sauvages, Villa Arson (16/02/12) Nice , France
- Spectral Imprints, Abraaj Capital Art Prize 2012, March, Dubai,
- Utopia/Dystopia: Constructed with Photography, March 11 to June 11, Museum of fine Arts, Houston, USA
- « Intense proximity » Triennale de Paris, Palais de Tokyo, Paris, France, 2012
- Downtown Contempory Arts Festival/ CIC, Cairo, Egypt
- Due to unforeseen eventsNew Museum of Contemporary Art, New York, USA
- Seeing is belleving, KW institute, Berlin, Allemagne (11/09-13/11/11)
- 3eme Festival International d’Art Contemporain d’Alger, Musée d’art moderne et contemporain d’Ager, Dec 2011-Fevrier 2012, Algerie
- Traffic, The Third Line – Dubai, EAU
- Image in the Aftermath, Beirut Art Center, Beirut Lebanon
- Untitled, 12th Istanbul Biennial, Turkey (17/09-13/11/11)
- A terrible Beauty is born, 11em Biennale de Lyon, La sucrière, Lyon (15/09-31/12/11)
- Locus Logistics, Meeting Point 6, curated by Okwui Enwezor, (Berlin, Brussels, Athenes)
- Paysages avec objets absents, Centre d’art contemporain, Fribourg, Switzerland
- All about Lebanon, White Box Kunst Halle, Munich, Germany
- Plot for a Biennial, 10th Edition of the Sharjah Biennial, Sharjah, UAE, 2011
- Open frame, premier volet, centre régional d’art contemporain Languedoc-Roussillon, Sète, France
- Soft Machine, Panorama 12, Le Fresnoy, Studio des Arts Contemporains, Tourcoing, France
- La revanche de l’archive photographique, Centre de la photographie de Genève, Switzerland
- Perpetual Battles, baibakova Art Projects, Moscow, Russia
- Utopie(s), Curated by Jany Bourdais, Centre Culturel Français, Beirut, Lebanon
- Brouillon, Musée de la dance, Rennes, France
- Nobody’s Property : Art ; Land; Space, 2000-2010, Modern and Contemporary Art de Princetown University Art Museum, Princetown, USA
- Fonction Critique, Aperto, Montpellier, France
- Fictions du réel, Centre Culturel Suisse, Paris, France
- 3rd AiM International Biennale – Marrakech Biennale, Marrakech
- Promised Lands, 6th Asia Pacific Triennial of Contempory Art, Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane, Australia
- The Summer Show – CRG Gallery, New York, NY
- The view from elsewhere – Sherman Contemporary Art Foundation – SCAF, Sydney, NSW
- Crossing (Traversées), Bab Rouah, & Bab el Kébir, Rabat, Morocco
- Image in Question, 41st national Artists’ Salon Cali, Colombia, USA
- 9th Edition of the Sharjah Biennial, Sharjah, UAE
- Zones of conflict, Pratt Manhattan Gallery, New York, USA
- Zones of conflict,Pratt Manhattan Gallery, USA
- Roads were opened/roads were closed,Gallery The Third Line, Dubaï, United Arabian Emirates
- Art now in Lebanon, Darat al Funun, The Khalid Shoman foundation, Amman, Jordan
- Forum Homeworks 4, organised by Ashkal Alwan association, Beirut, Lebanon
- Conspire, Transmediale, House of World Cultures, Berlin, Germany
- Fondation jordanienne «Darat el Funun», (organised by Sfeir-Semler gallery, Beirut), Amman, Jordan
- Orients Sans Frontières, Espace Louis Vuitton, Paris, France
- Stratégies de l’histoire, Stratégie de l’art, 6th Biennale de Goumri, Armenia
- Ah les belles images, Gallery In Situ Fabienne Leclerc, Paris, France
- Ah les belles images, La Tolerie, Clermont Ferrand, France
- Distorted Fabric, De Apple Arts Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Whenever it starts, Frankfurter Kunstverein, Frankfurt, Germany
- Côté court, Pantin, France
- Taking place, Kunsthal Charlottenborg, Copenhaguen, Denmark
- Out of Beirout, Modern Art, Oxford, UK
- blickdicht. Fotografien aus der arabischen Welt – ifa-Galerie Berlin, Berlin
- Coding:Decoding – Kunsthallen Nikolaj, Copenhague
- Coding : Decoding – Museet for Samtidskunst / Museum of Contemporary Art, Roskilde Danemark
- Sequence of tense, Altpool, Korea
- Forum HOMEWORKS 3, Galerie Sfeir Semler, Beirut, Lebanon
- Videokunstwoche – NBK – Neuer Berliner Kunstverein, Berlin
- Present Absent, Gallery Tanit, Munich, Germany
- Love it or leave it, Montenegro Biennale, Montenegro
- Appel à témoin, Le Quartier, Centre d’art contemporain de Quimper, France
- Mediterraneans, Macro, Rome, Italia
- Laughter, Bargehouse LIFT, Londres, UK
- Nazar, Nooderlich Photofestival, Akerkhof, Netherlands
- The Eccho Show, curator Lars Bang Larsen, Tramway, Glasgow, Scotland
- Deslocamentos, VideoBrazil, Sao Paolo, Brazil
- Forum HOMEWORKS 2, Beirut, Libanon
- Iconoclash, ZKM, Karlsruhe, Germany
- Fundamentalism of the new order, Kunsthal Charlottenborg, Copenhague, Denmark
- Missing links, Gallery Townhouse, Cairo, Egypt
- Gaba, Marzouk, Sooja, Bonde, Kusolwong , Hadjithomas And Joreige – INOVA – Institute of Visual Arts, Milwaukee, WI, USA
- Espace vital, La Criée, Centre d’Art contemporain de Rennes, France
- Visages de rencontres Espace Mira Phalaina, Montreuil, France